Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Why I Chose The Marxist Lens - NM


The Marxist lens of literary analysis stood out to me over others because of my personal social background. I grew up in a household of large wealth, meaning that any pleasures I so desired were given to me. I developed ideas of how people with less were poor and usually less joyful than those with wealth. Instead of mistreating people I thought were “poor,” I would share what I had with them because, as a spoiled child, I directly correlated the amount of material items one had with their happiness. As time progressed, the wealth of my household diminished, transitioning my family into a lower social class. This transition has given me more perspective on those of less wealth, though not the entire story. I still feel that my upbringing has given me an advantage in understanding class interactions and differences, and the mentality behind them more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment